Monday, June 22, 2009

A Day with Best Friends

Nine Days, Oh My!

David and John braved the garage to help me sort, pack and weed out my tools. hardest job yet and a good one for Father's Day -- real guy stuff. A whole floor full of stuff and I think we threw out one old stripped screw driver. Of course there was a lot of junk, bits of wood and saw dust, plastic bags left over from buying screws, tin cans I used to put bolts in. Surprisingly little I didn't think I needed. Oh My! again.

I am remembering a few years back and my therapist helping me organize the messes I make. She gave me one of the most helpful exercises I have ever done. She had me take pictures of all the messes or places of clutter in my life -- from little ones, like a corner of a box with a mass of paperclips, to big ones, like one whole side of the garage. I mounted the pictures in the middle of pieces of paper and my exercise was to determine ask myself what meaning I gave to the messes or what value in my life I placed on them. That may seem like an simple exercise until one considers how much energy it takes to actually clean up clutter. One insight back then: the shelves and shelves and shelves of books tell me and others that I am smart, have a good education and was well rounded. But as I thought about it, I realized that that was an old me (or a young me). The me now didn't really care about that much anymore, or didn't care to be seen that way. I would much rather be seen in my office as someone you could tell anything to. So, 2/3rds of the books went out, and rather complicate art came in.

Looking at all the tools I remember all the furniture I've made in the last years and the guitars, and I can't throw away tools. So, sorted and stowed for another day far away from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment